Sunday, February 1, 2009

Words and Phrases

We are constantly assaulted by words and phrases we hate, and ones that are misused or abused by people for whatever reason. I don't know about you, but I would like to eliminate some of these from the English language, erase them from human memory, and make it a criminal offense to use them in print or in conversation.

I list my choices here for any comments you might have, and invite you to submit yours. Just putting mine on the list will make me feel better, I know it will........... OK, so, moving on..........

1. Moving on ....... (yes please, and don't bother coming back)
2. Going forward (where else? You can't go back)
3. D (It's defense! Don't be so bloody lazy!)
4. Funding (don't be afraid - say money)
5. Stakeholders (way too many of these around these days)

Well, now I feel better. I think this actually brought me some closure. Oooops, there's another one that we simply do not need.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Touchbase
To be honest
To tell you the truth
Spurs Lose
any kind of text speak ...

could be a long list this !

Anonymous said...

'Suck it and see'
My manager uses it all the time and it drives me MAD.
It gives me a mental picture of an ostrich when that phrase is used (burying their head in the sand to avoid the issue) :(

Cortes said...

Excellent Moon! Never trust something that begins with "trust me ...." There are so many that could make the list.

Taffy's Mum - never heard that one. It definitely belongs on the list!