Thursday, February 5, 2009

Famous Last Words

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda.

Famous last words for those who didn't, and now find it is too late. No regrets! But what if (more famous last words) I hadda? Hadda actually gone into archeology in University, like I wanted to? Would I now be in some far forgotten land, burrowing deep beneath the ground in search of some lost treasure, some link to mankind's murky past? Doubtful, I'm not built for that, the trench would have to be far too wide.

So I did not become an archeologist, or an architect, I became a teacher - then realized that "our little darlings" are only little darlings at home, and someone completely different when they are in a pack (as they are in the classroom). Simply could not stand the little buggers. Once I knew I was not made out to be a teacher (after 4 years in university!), I embarked on a checkered career of being a tailor; raising chickens; farming; selling life insurance; selling vaccum cleaners (God, I almost forgot that one!); selling office supplies, then office furniture, and now self employed, selling "pee proof" furniture for retirement homes! No regrets! I met some amazing people along the way.

But, what if I had become a riverman, plying my trade up and down some busy little water route, instead of driving around in an over-sized truck? I might relish the different sights and sounds, the unique smells of the river, the little bite-sized habitats I would have seen on a daily basis.

I wonder if that would have altered my outlook on life at all? Not that I need to alter my outlook on life, at least I don't think I do? What if I had taken that trip to Australia that I really wanted when I graduated from University? What if I had actually married my high school sweetheart? What if my first car had been a Ferrari instead of a 1964 Ford 500, column shift and with an engine too large for a 16 year old lad who had no fears at all.

This could go on forever. We can always look back and wonder "what if"?

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Tomorrow is my 59th. I have great friends, great family, a good business, and regardless of my meanderings above, I am perfectly happy with my station in life. But I can't help wondering, from time to time......

WHAT IF?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you!!! My 55th is a few short months away!
Accepted to draw animations for a famous film maker at 16 - but my Dad was ill and I didn't want to leave him - then discovered problems with my hands a year later that stopped me drawing - fate eh?
Since then I haven't looked back just enjoyed life - and a blip last year taught me to enjoy it more!!!

Don't Bug Me! said...

I was suppposed to become an accountant - all the personality and career tests said that is what I should do. Would I be any happier as an accountant? Richer, yes, happier, who knows? It really isn't worth worrying about, since you can't change the past and you are what you are. Still, if I had bought waterfront property in Vancouver 30 years ago..........

Cortes said...

Kate

A few "short" months is right, I find they get shorter and shorter as I get older. Time really does fly! Too bad you couldn't have tried your hand at the illustrations, but family must come first. Here's hoping you don't have any more blips.

DBM

Sorry, can't see you as an accountant. But, if you were, you would likely have purchased the water front property! You'd have a great view, but likely not be having as much fun. You're quite right, though, no use looking back.

Anonymous said...

Ah, what a great post. What if I'd listened to my parents, stayed at private school, gone on to University... who knows where I could have been now.

Although, living in the greenest, lushest part of Ireland, next to a beautiful lough, with two hilarious children, a lovely Hubby and the laziest greyhound ever...meh, I'm quite happy with my lot.

Happy birthday, my friend.

Cortes said...

Thanks EM: Like you, I would not alter a single thing. They all contribute to the whole.

Anonymous said...

You old sod, why did you not tell me it was your birthday !!!

I love the saying "I'll never die wondering"..

Of course you can never do everything, and I would doubt if anyone can truely have no regrets ...

I seem to always go with the adventure, and will probably regret that choice later in life, but, if I reach your age, and be happy and content, and still drive the ball 300 yrds.... I'll be happy

Cortes said...

Yes, you are absolutely correct. There are always one or two regrets. As long as the smiles outnumber the regrets, and as long as no one was badly hurt, then one can say that their choices have been successful. We can ask for little more than that.

As for hitting the ball 300 yards, I can not do that unless the hole is downhill from the tee, and I hit at least two cart paths. If you can drive 300 yards, I will be doing a lot more drinking than I had planned for in early March!