Thursday, September 18, 2008

Shopping for a Washer


I am one of those people who firmly believe that all machines are designed to perform a function, and that they have no business doing anything BUT what they were designed to do. That they should do it properly. That they should do it when asked, and that they should keep doing it until I want them to stop.

Notice that I refer to them as "they", and not "it"? The reason is, "they" are too complicated. I do not understand them. I don't know how they work, why they work, and then when they don't, I start looking for someone to help me make them work again. I certainly cannot do it myself.

And so, when the washer started leaking, I started casting about for someone to help. Problem is, in order to fix the complicated machinery of today, you need a professional, and they do not come cheap. So, rather than sink more cash into an aging washer that likely had seen it's last load of unmentionables, I decided to simply buy a new one. This time though, I had a choice (well, not really, as Ms Cortes would not likely agree to the model I thought might work best). So, simplicity eliminated, I decided to go for the most complicated piece of machinery I could find, in the hope that the less I understood it, the better it would work.

Time will tell I guess. It gets delivered on Tuesday. I hope they hook it up. Two hoses and a plug may be more than I can handle.











No comments: