Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Irreversible process of aging, and the articulated arm ......

I have heard it said that the human body begins its' decline sometime around its' 25th birthday. Been there, done that (been there twice, actually).

I can attest to the fact that the process begins at some point, as I can notice one or two changes in my appearance. Some body parts are shrinking, some are expanding. Some have gone missing and are subject to an ongoing search and rescue mission I have undertaken ..... as an example, I have not seen my feet in a number of months, and am beginning to wonder if maybe they haven't turned up on a British Columbia beach somewhere. This afternoon I am off to my local hardware store to purchase a mirror with an articulating arm so that I can check to make sure all my bits and pieces are still attached!

But I digress ..... back to the aging process. I know it has begun, but what I cannot say with certainty, is when it started, or when I first noticed. I wonder if others noticed before it became apparent to me? I can't remember ..... this is another symptom of aging, or so I am told.

I wonder if this aging process is a gradual breakdown, or does it become exponentially faster as you move up in years? And why would you have to hit breakneck speed just when your bones turn a bit brittle, and the joints don't swivel, the eyes begin to go, and your judgement starts to falter? This is when you need all your physical prowess and mental faculties just to remain on your feet! No, it does not seem fair, but it can still be fun. We can turn the process of aging into a game, twist the negatives around to one's benefit, and have a bit of a laugh along the way.

I used to get annoyed at grocery clerks who rang up my sale, took one look at my white hair (it started to go white after my 16th birthday), and inquired "would you like some help out to the car?" Last time through I said "That would be nice" and a strapping young fellow carried my loaf of French Bread and six bananas out to the truck for me. I had a chuckle, he had a chuckle, and so did almost everyone else in the parking lot! I must admit that I won't do it again though.

Perhaps I will get someone to carry my articulating mirror out to the truck for me. If I can only be sure that I will remember where I parked it......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As long as you don't get someone to hold the mirror, as you check out the parts you cannot see !!

The ageing process egts us all, I say "argh" as I get up from the sofa, my bladder won't mae it through the night ... the only thing that stay juvenile is my humour, def 4th grade still !

English Mum said...

Hmmm...I seem to have spent so much energy trying not to turn into my Mum that I seem to have turned into my Dad while I wasn't looking: creaking knees, bad bad, short sight and yes, that family failing: 'aaarrgghh' on getting up from the sofa! I can't see my feet, but that's for a totally different reason (juvenile humour runs in the family too) x

English Mum said...

Sorry, bad back, not bad bad. See, the onset of dementia too...