Thursday, November 27, 2008

Trainspotting


My business sometimes takes me into the Fraser Valley, about 25 miles inland from Vancouver, where I have some of my furniture manufactured for clients. I have taken to bringing my camera with me wherever I go now, so when I drove out yesterday I was encouraged by a thick bank of fog and the rising sun. (I was driving east at around 7:30 am).

Near my suppliers facility, there is a river and a train bridge. I thought I might camp out there for a few minutes in the hope that I could catch a train passing over, and get a couple of shots. No such luck - no train. But the bridge could not escape.

When I was taking photos I heard some muffled banging and had to scamper out of the "no go" zone I was in. I had visions of being tossed about by burly Railroad Police, of being trussed up and transported to some secure area while they checked my camera and my heritage (just to be sure I was not some disturbed terrorist). No such luck!

All I found was a sport fisherman getting ready to enjoy a morning on the water. I wish I could have accompanied him for short while.

4 comments:

English Mum said...

Wow, what a beautiful photo. It's so atmospheric with all the mist swirling around. Yes, I could do with a nice day on the boat too, although you can keep the fishing. Bleurgh! xx

Anonymous said...

Indeed Cortes, it really is a great photo, very cery atmospheric, I love these kind of photos, I can feel the cold and damp... like you, we carry our almost everywhere, it's bloody heavy, but well worth it when you get this kind of shot .... great work.... I am with EM about fishing, but I do like the idea of calm, peace, a decent book, a cigar and of course, to share a beer !!!!

Don't Bug Me! said...

Do you ever do any work!?!
Looking forward to that cold and damp - not, but I am looking forward to turkey, fish and chips and good friends.

Anonymous said...

EM - glad you enjoyed the picture. It was a tad cold there, but a day on the water would have been great.

Moon - I have never understood the attraction of fishing either. Do like to have a beer on a boat though.

DBM - I work, really, I do! As to the food and good friends, they all await your return!